Thursday, July 21, 2005

...uhhh, grays and stuff.

(entry: Carlitos)

...it's still early for me, and I don't really have anything better to do, so before the deadlines start kicking my butt again, why not post one more (^_^)

...I just thought I'd post this up for the 'artheads' out there. This was my initial 'rendering' for my cover on the PH4 sketchbook, kinda' like an underpainting. Here I wasn't really concerned about colors, those would come later. Here, I just wanted to make sure that my 'forms' worked and hopefully reinforced the drawing's 'solidity'. I am of the mindset that if your 'values' work (how dark or light a surface gets), then the color should work just fine, regardless if you choose to go with a more subdued palette, or more 'bubblegummy' (like the final one ended up being).

...an easy way to do this, is by doing all your 'grays' (digitally, or by hand), the colorizing 'em on Photoshop. Try dragging this thing off to your desktop, open it on Photoshop, make a new layer and set it to 'color' in the 'layer options', then just start throwing colors on it as you wish, think of it as a coloring book, only that the black lines stay intact, the only thing that should be affected are the 'greys' (play with the 'opacity' of the layer to control the color 'saturation') ...there are a gazillion more ways to do this on Photoshop, but this one is straight forward enough to just mess with it and see 'instant' results. :)

peace.

5 comments:

bryan stewart said...

i tried it and it is good fun messing with different colors to get different depths and feels. also, what is the ph4 sketchbook referred to?

Andreas said...

When I saw Rich and your cover images at the Con, it made me wish I wasn't between jobs and out of money. I love that image.

bryan stewart said...

thanks for the info carlos, are they available anywhere else? i live in ohio and san diego is too far for me to travel at the moment, but i would love to get one

bryan stewart said...

thanks for the reply carlos--is there a pm system here to get you/me the details of a sketchbook?
thanks

angryf said...

great skecthbook guys... did up the cover with some of my colors... love your stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angryf/31878732/