Monday, December 19, 2005

Does someone smell smoke?

I decided to post an image. I'm trying to get a hold of the different brushes in Photoshop. It's getting easier now that I'm starting to find the texture oriented ones. The difference is really refreshing because it allows me the freedom to get a more detailed look simply by making the unimportant areas less important.

I have been looking at Frank Brangwyn's work these days. I've definitely enjoyed his work in the past. I guess a lot of it has to do with the mixture of organic shapes with strong outlines. His work feels a bit like Baroque architecture to me. While I can appreciate the skillfulness and delicate quality of a Mucha or Klimt, I love the strong, bold silhouetted shapes and "stain glass" effect of Brangwyn.

-

Scott

6 comments:

Samuel Ellis said...

Man I love it when you post Scott, I think you should post this over at Gaijin too, its been awhile since you had made your presence there and I know everyone likes to hear from you- visual as it may be.

Sam Out-

Urban Barbarian said...

Wow! I love it Scott! You're a photoshop guru to boot! Who knew!?!?! Beautiful work!

Onil said...

holy wow, that's beautiful image. was it done entirely digitally or did it start with a scan?

s said...

Whoa, brill. Love the light-shining-off-dust-motes like effect.

j13 said...

Dang Scott, that is sweet. I'm in school right now taking classes using photoshop. Unfortunately, what we're doing seems worthless compared to this. Are you just learning by jumping in and seeing what works and what doesn't? If you are using references, are there any books or websites you've found helpful? Thanks so much for sharing with us. I'd love to see more.

Shane White said...

Scott...I love Brangwyn's work but I would suggest that it's not his strong outlines as much as it is his strong use of negative space. Dean Cornwell took that to yet another level.

Check out Ivor Hele at
http://www.illustrationart.blogspot.com/ (scroll to the bottom) to see a nice use of shape and rendering.

Nice start though.